on friday's dinner ideas post i mentioned that i had made my favorite shepherd's pie, so this week i thought i would share the recipe with you! it is always inspired by whatever veggies are in season at the moment, so this is a year-long favorite. and since it's so versatile (and oh-so-scrumptious) you can switch up the veggies to anything you like!
*note! this time, i used purple potatoes- aren't they purty?! you can use any potato though. :) also, be sure to cover the entire top of your pie, i just photographed this one before i finished so that you could see the yummies that lie beneath!
ingredients for shepherd's pie
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbs ketchup
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1/5 cups broccoli heads
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 cups mashed potatoes*
- 1 tbs olive oil
- preheat oven to 425 degrees. heat a large stock pot over medium high head and add olive oil, onion and garlic- cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- add thyme, ketchup, and flour; stir until combined. add the rest of the vegetables. cook until veggies are warmed through and season with salt and pepper.
- spoon veggies into a quart baking dish and spread potatoes over top. place in the oven and bake until potatoes are lightly browned 30-45 minutes.
ingredients for mashed potatoes
- 6-8 5-inch potatoes, washed well but not peeled (this time, i used purple potatoes, but any kind will do!)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter (i.e. earth balance)
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- *you can also add something here to make them a bit creamier if you like, like coconut milk or vegan sour cream
- cut potatoes into lengthwise and then in half. place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, 30-45 minutes. the potatoes should be soft but not falling apart. drain.
- transfer to a mixing bowl and add butter, salt and pepper to the mixer and add the potatoes- mash until almost smooth.